Developing outreach strategies for increased involvement of women in local participatory process
The overall objective of the project is to develop a strategy and pilot a model for reaching out to women, empowering them to articulate their needs and priorities in municipal participatory processes and enhance their role and participation in local policy and decision making. The project focuses on assessing the needs and priorities of women in ten pilot LSGUs (Local Self-Government Units) and identifying best strategies for empowering women to take active participation in the local planning and budgeting processes. Furthermore, the project included plans for piloting of the reach out strategies in the target LSGUs to test the approaches and their effectiveness. Activities:
- Identifying the obstacles and examples of good practices on women’s and men’s participation at local level, with focus on the 10 pilot LSGUs;
- Developing a strategy to reach out and empower women at local level to take part in participatory processes;
- Piloting and testing the proposed approaches and finalizing the reach out strategy at local level.
- Making use of innovative approaches and information technologies to present the strategy and better illustrate the situation with respect to women and men and their participation in local life (campaigns, multi-media videos, info-graphics etc.);
- Involving local gender advocates, CSO grassroots and women leaders in the activities.
- 9 local CSO strengthened their capacities to identify and implement activities for encouraging women’s’ participation.
- Identified needs and potentials for civic engagement among 252 women from local communities.
- 1700 local women from 10 municipalities directly involved in outreach actions aimed at information, education and advocacy mobilization
- CSOs equipped with practical tool (strategy) for working with women in local communities.
- Over 60.000 social media users sensitized on the topic of women’s participation in local decision-making.
- Project duration: December 2016 - May 2017
- Project value (cost): 52.500 USD
- Beneficiaries: Women of different profiles, structure and ethnicity, representatives of other CSOs, institutions, education, business sector, media, unemployed, students, etc.
- Target regions: Local CSOs working on issues of promoting women's rights in 10 municipalities: Aerodrom, Bitola, Bogovinje, Gjorce Petrov, Mavrovo and Rostuse, Sveti Nikole, Stip, Strumica, Tetovo and City of Skopje
- Donor: UN Women
- Partner: Akcija Zdruzenska